miércoles, 11 de junio de 2014

GRAMMAR

 


                                              -ing form


The-ing form of the verbs can function as gerund or present participle in English, but both are often translated as infinitive. Next we outline the differences between them. 

Training-ing verbs 

Infinitive without 'to' + suffix '-ing' 

example 

To work (work) → work → +-ing working

Exceptions
If the verb ends in-e mute-e disappears and is added to the verb →-ing.
To make (do) +-ing → make → making.
To write (write) +-ing → write → writing.
There are some exceptions for spelling or phonetic reasons:
To eye (look) +-ing → eye → eyeing.
To dye (dye) → dye +-ing → dyeing.
To canoe (canoe) +-ing → → canoe canoeing.



                                  (to-) infinitive



Inifinitivo 'to' is used:
  As one subject of the sentence
Commonly used to refer to activities generally.
To love somebody is a very strong feeling.
Loving someone is a very strong feeling.
Not to make mistakes is difficult.
No mistakes is difficult.
To speak a second language is important. 

Speaking a second language is important.



                                           Would rather/ Would prefer


How to use would rather, would prefer and prefer correctly.
Would rather vs. would prefer - to express a specific preference
When we speak about a specific preference, would rather and would prefer have the same meaning and are interchangeable. We went to the theatre yesterday. Today I would rather go to the cinema.
We went to the theatre yesterday. Today I would prefer to go to the cinema.
Would rather can be abbreviated to 'd rather.
Would prefer can be abbreviated to 'd prefer. I'd rather go to the cinema today.
I'd prefer to go to the cinema today.
Would rather is followed by the bare infinitive.
Would prefer is followed by to + infinitive. I'd rather have water.
I'd prefer to have fruit juice.

Prefer vs. would rather - to express a general preference
When we talk about general preferences we can use prefer or would rather. The meaning is the same. I prefer walking to cycling.
I'd rather walk than cycle.
After prefer we use the verb in its ing form.
After would rather we use than.
I prefer using a keyboard to writing with a pen. I'd rather use a keyboard than write with a pen


                                        Countable / Uncountable


Names or uncountable nouns are those that can not tell because we can not define individually but are part of a whole. They are treated as unique (can not be made plural by adding '-s').
Examples:
Playa gram of salt (one gram of salt)
Play a piece of wood (a piece of wood)
Playtwo cups of tea (two cups of tea)
Playthree glasses of wine (three glasses of wine) 

                               a/ an / some / any

When asked to affirm or uncountable nouns often precedes the noun the adjective "some" or "any". For example: Do you have some ice? [Duiu havsamais] Got Ice?

We use "some" when we believe there is something or ask what we mean. For example if I say: Can I have some tea?
Examples of uncountable nouns we use with "some" or "any".
 
 
Example 1: Can you lend me some money? [Kaniu lendmi sammani?] Can I borrow (some) money?
Example 2: Is there any milk in the fridge? [Isderenimilkindefridch?] Is there (something) milk in the fridge?
Example 3: I'll need some sugar. [Ailnid samshugar]'ll need (some) sugar.
Example 4: Do you have any idea? [Duiu hav eni AIDIA] Do you have any idea?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario